>One problem with recording directly to the PC is that the software
>I've found does not support SMPTE time codes. The result is loss of
>A/V sync, usually after a few tens of minutes. The standalone
>recorder has no such problem although occasionally one can see a
>very brief hesitation. (I am told that the Mac is not subject to this problem.)

Mike (and others),

If you are using an encoder that does not lock the audio and video
together, then yes, you'll get drift. But to say the Mac doesn't have
that problem but a PC does is an error in diagnosing the problem.  I
use a PC running Adobe Premiere Pro for video capture and editing and
I do NOT capture in MPEG format. MPEG encoding during capture is
usually the problem with any capture hardware losing sync.  I capture
in DV format as an AVI file and have never had problems with loss of
sync between audio and video.  I do my DVD rendering/burning in Adobe
Encore DVD and again have not had a problem with any loss of audio
and video synchronization.

Diamond Productions
Preserving the past for the future.
Dave Bradley   President