It ought to be pretty easy to tell the difference between
"transcribed" programs that were made directly from the studio at KHJ
(either live to the network or pre-recorded) and those that came back
to KHJ through several thousand miles of AT&T network circuits
equalized at 5 KC (this would have been before KHz were discovered).
The lack of a high end and the reduced dynamic range should be very
obvious on the incoming network feeds.

The ultimate source of information about Mutual Network operations is
probably the daily (or hourly) logs that were maintained at the time,
which would have shown the time of transmission and point of origin
for each program that moved through the logging location. The
original WOR/Mutual logs are now held by the Library of Congress but
the last time I asked (about twelve years ago), they were in a
warehouse in Maryland, completely uncataloged.

However, the decentralized structure of the Mutual Network might mean
that the WOR logs may not have included programs that did not go
through New York (such as a program from KHJ to the Don Lee stations
in the West, or from WNAC to the Yankee Network). So it would also be
instructive to find out if the KHJ/Mutual Don Lee logs have survived.

John Ross
Seattle