I agree with Marie. Many spoken word recordings have the potential
for phonetic analysis--whether that was the original intention for
the recording or not. Get the best digital signal you can (though,
frankly, in my experience, more than 24-bit, 48 kHz is a waste of
space), which means doing it in real time.

Barbara Need
Manager (SS4), Computer Support, Archivist
Language Labs and Archives, University of Chicago