At 07:31 AM 2/13/2006, Goran Finnberg wrote:
>Jeffrey Kane:
>

>Not mentioned so far is the fact that the
>playback EQ will be all wrong too.
>
>But it can probably be acceptable for lo
>fidelity material.

Hi, Goran,

I've been mentioning that there are ways to adjust the EQ either in
the machine or in the DAW,  but it is certainly a step that needs to
be addressed.

My biggest concern is gap-loss in normal pro-machine repro heads. I
think that's probably the limiting factor.

I am impressed with the specs of "direct" instrumentation recorders:
75 kHz at 15 in/s and 150 kHz at 30 in/s. These may have
possibilities in this regard, with DAW post processing. If you use
10kHz as an upper limit for voice recordings, at 4x that gives you 40
kHz. So a 3.75 in/s voice recording, played at 15 in/s would be well
within the bandwidth of an off-the shelf Racal Store 4DS and could be
digitized at 88.2 ks/s, slowed down to 22.05 ks/s and then Sample
Rate Converted to 44.1. Or you could use a higher sampling rate
(which I don't have).

Cheers,

Richard

Vignettes Media                   web:   http://www.richardhess.com/tape/