At 12:05 PM 2/18/2006, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Has anyone given any thought to life after manufacturers stop making
>cassette decks?

Yes,

>Anyone care to venture a guess at how long till  that happens?

It happened in 1993 when Nakamichi discontinued the Dragon and the
CR-7, the former with automatic play azimuth adjustment and the
latter with manual play azimuth adjustment.

>Already the best decks (e.g. Tascam 122 MkIII) have been discontinued.

How do/did you adjust play azimuth on this deck?

>With a couple thousand cassettes sitting on the shelves I am
>wondering about contigencies.

As to a contingency plan, I've bought six pretty pristine Dragons and
have a NOS mechanism which includes heads. Fortunately, I believe the
heads are a ferrite and should last a very long time as they are very
special and unobtanium.

The other thing you need to know is a good Nakamichi repair person. I
have been fortunate to find one here in Toronto and the good guy in
LA is so swamped, he's not accepting new work, from what I hear.

Anyway, transferring them now using the best available cassette
machines makes sense. I would suggest either 44.1/16 or 48/16 is more
than adequate. I'm doing a project now that may grow where we're
doing 44.1/16 transfers to live on a file system and then doing MP3s
at 64 kb/s for access of oral histories.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Richard

Audio Restoration Seminar:  MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.
Vignettes Media                   web:   http://www.richardhess.com/tape/