Back in here, I'm afraid:

On 21-Feb-06, at 9:52 PM, Dave Bradley wrote:

> First off, you can upsample a 16-bit file to 1 24-bit file with
> absolutely no increase in noise or relative distortion. If you find
> elsewise, then you are either doing it wrong, or have really poor
> software.

Distortion is a change in the sound. You are adding information that is
not there, hence, it is a distortion. "Cleaning up" the sound, is also
a distortion, of course. Everything adds distortion, starting at the
microphone, so life is a question of minimizing the distortions, and
being mindful of which and how you are adding...Personally, if I were
going to be doing my processing at 24 bit (which I wasn't commenting on
in my last post), I would transfer it at 24...I'm not so sure I would
be upres-ing to 24 from a 16 bit; I would have to think about it quite
a bit further, and would bet it had something to do with circumstances
being that I didn't have hold of the original, and there were very
special circumstances to warrant the upresing and dithering in addition
to the processing.

Best,

Alyssa.

> Second off, the error caused by truncating OR dithering would be
> within 1 value, not 14, so again the point is moot. You would prefer
> to increase errors by up to 14 points (in my example) just so you can
> avoid adding a possible 1 point error?  Hardly what I'd call a sound
> business practice when accuracy is indeed a necessity.
>

>> And this is regardless of what software or noise-shaping algorithms
>> used.  Why do all this to audio from a cassette that most likely
>> already suffers from noise/hiss problems?  Oh, and last but not
>> least, my ears can pick up the other problems that this scenario
>> creates -- audible digital artifacts.  The only way to avoid having
>> to deal with this mess is to do the job right in the first place and
>> make the original transfers in 24 bit.  It might be best for the
>> original poster to invest a few dollars in obtaining an Alesis
>> Masterlink.
>>
>> One man's opinion.
>>
>> Bob Conrad
>> Fort Lee, NJ