The following was posted on a pro audio forum.  I've not heard of this
technique.  Anyone care to comment?

<<I've had equally good results using talcum to ease the friction
allowing playback, negating the need for baking. I just stood there with
a handful of talcum and applied it to the tape with a finger before it
entered the tape guide on the supply reel side ...

Right, it's the binder liquefying, but it's the friction of the smooth
head that causes it to stick. Applying talcum reduces the friction, and
allows the tape to travel across the head without "locking up" the
transport.

It's always worked for me, and was more convenient than baking, which
sometimes required several attempts. I'm actually quite surprised that
the technique wasn't more popular. I learned it from a tech who is now a
head tech at Capitol.>>

Angie Dickinson Mickle
Avocado Productions
Arvada, CO