Hi Marie:

If you go for a bigger-sized card, I'd buy from a reputable brand and make sure Marantz has signed
off on it. If there are compatability issues, there should be some mention on their website. I'd
call Sandisk and Lexar definite "reputable brands" along with Fuji. I think Kingston is low-end but
on the other hand I've never had an issue with anything of theirs I've used. Viking is another
low-end player and I have had problems with some of their PC memory modules (not CF flash memory,
I've only used their SmartMedia, and with no problems). I would not get a no-name on sale at Costco
unless I planned to run some pretty comprehensive tests with it before sending it out into the field
(nothing says it _won't_ work, it's just that the savings might not be worth finding out the hard
way that it doesn't).

For what it's worth, if it were me doing this, I'd give the operator several 1 gig cards instead of
2 or 4 gig cards. I know it's a couple more items to lose, but I assume you don't hire irresponsible
people. The advantage to smaller cards are: 1) long-proven technology, although 2 gig cards have
been around a while now too. 2) if the card is damaged or corrupted, only 1 gig of data is lost as
opposed to twice or 4x as much. 3) 1 gig cards can be had for less than 1/2 the cost of 2 gig cards
and less than 1/4 the cost of 4 gig cards, so they are cost-effective. 4) there MAY (note MAY) be
issues with how many files can be written to a card, how quickly a large and fragmented card can be
accessed, etc. Keep the media capacity small and these issues will never crop up. 5) I personally
think it is easier to keep track of what's on a smaller card because it only fits so much audio. As
I recall, the Marantz uses non-obvious file names (001.wav, 002.wav or something along those lines),
so I'd think fewer files per card means easier record-keeping. 6) and finally, if a person is out in
the field for several days, they can send back full cards for off-load and since 1 gig cards are
relatively cheap, they can be carrying enough to enable this tactic, which makes for a steady
workflow at home base.

On the other hand, 1 gig holds approximately 2 hours of 44.1/16bit audio, so if you think you'll
need longer stretches of recording, then size trumps convenience.

For my camera, I stick to 512meg cards, but if I get a flash recorder, I'll move up to 1 gig cards.

Also, thanks to all for the machine recommendations. The Sony and also the Nagra flash recorders are
very appealing, but if I were spending that much I'd probably get the Tascam which has a lot of
excellent features, including a keyboard socket to do sensicle file-naming and project-naming if
you're in the field for long stretches, plus it has timecode and MIDI sync capabilities, if I recall
correctly. The hhb (hbb?) unit looks like a ripoff to me, but may be useful for broadcast folks.
There will be Chinese knockoffs of that concept for a couple hundred dollars very soon, I'm sure.
It's not very expensive to build and, for what it's supposed to be used for, nothing says a
Panasonic omni electret capsule or a Chinese small-diaphram capacitor mic won't do just fine. It
could actually be made smaller and cheaper, in the form factor of a small boundary mic with an
electret capsule, which would be extremely useful for interview recording. But I'm looking more in
the Marantz 660 and M-Audio price range right now. I don't do enough high-fidelity-mandated portable
recording to require one that costs 2x those smaller units. From what I can tell, it looks like the
Marantz is more pro-grade-tough built but the M-Audio seems to win in sound-quality and
user-interface reviews and there are complaints about the mic preamps in both units. The M-Audio has
cheezy connectors but that's not a deal-breaker. As I said, I was highly impressed with a field
recording that a member of the Ampex list sent me. Of course, he used an excellent Schoepps mic and
also a nice external mic preamp.

Part of me says, these things are super-cool and it's finally time to stop using a Sony Pressman.
And part of me says, wait a year and the choices will multiply and the prices divide. There are so
many cool ways to do this concept. We're at the early, feature-laden phase right now but
particularly for interview recording, you could strip out a lot of stuff, greatly reduce the form
factor and get the cost low and still have decent audio quality. Or you could go for excellent audio
quality and strip out digi-features to keep cost mid-range. I suggest the evolution will be along
the lines of computer flash-memory "drives" -- first they were external card readers, with expensive
cards. Then came small-capacity key fob types. Now, 1 gig key fobs go for $20 after rebates
regularly and 2-gig are usually under $100 after rebates. And fob-makers are now doing things like
stylish plastic and blinking light cases to make a point of difference. And, now I notice either
Kingston or Sandisk makes college-themed fobs sold in campus bookstores or via the Internet -- very
clever way to charge a premium for a commodity product.

-- Tom Fine