Hi,

The majority of the problems I have encountered with DAT tapes had to
do with alignment of the heads on the DAT machine - the alignment is
unforgiving.

So...if the DAT was recorded with a machine that was misaligned (which
commonly happened over time), it would only play back on the same
machine _without_ it having been serviced or the heads re-aligned. If
it turns out that your whole collection isn't playing back, I would
suspect that the machine(s) your working with may have misaligned
heads. Best to bring one of the machines to a repair person and see if
that corrects the problem.

The "physical" problems I have encountered with DAT tapes, have been
digital dropouts - that, I'm afraid, I don't know what, if anything,
can be done about; and they are, as many of you know, more significant
than analogue dropouts. Yep, digital...

Best,

Alyssa.
Alyssa Ryvers