In a message dated 2/1/2006 8:23:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
The trial was the first live radio broadcast from a trial but there was
not recording made. William Jennings Bryan did record a number of other
speeches some of which are available online at
<http://www.historicalvoices.org/earliest_voices/bryan.html> from the
Vincent Voice Library (although none appear directly related to Scopes).
************

This information is helpful. The people putting on the play somehow thought
that they should incorporate a wire recorder into the set. While we could have
loaned them a Telegraphone, it is just as well that they don't need it.

That time period must have been a null in extemporaneous sound recordings.
Wax cylinders were out of the picture and instantaneous discs had not been well
developed.

I remember reading in a contemporary early 20's magazine about a project to
archive radio broadcasts on Telegraphone wires. I wonder if anything ever came
of that.

Mike Csontos