Much of the credit on the Gerhardt recordings aside from the general
mastering techniques described below were due to Charles Gerhardt's own
long experience in producing and supervising others' recordings.  Check
out this fascinating web site that has much of the history of his career
with excellent photos of him working with the other great talents of the
day:

http://classicalcdreview.com/CGREBweb.html

Rod Stephens