Marie O'Connell wrote:
> I work with spoken word/oral histories all the time, and it is my
> recommendation that to make a digitized preservation copy/master, that it is
> done in real-time.  I work with both reel-to-reel and cassettes, with speeds
> ranging from 15/16ths to 15ips.
>
> I believe there is a requirement to get the best quality from spoken word
> recordings.  In fact, in terms of preservation work, real-time is the only
> way to go.  I'm sorry, it may take longer, but it is worth it.

I fully understand where you are coming from and I mean to give no
offense, but circumstances alter cases and such a blanket treatment is
not sufficient.

For example, suppose you have only limited time to do the job: the
waters are rising or the loan arrangements by which you have the
material at all are terminating. An even more common case is one where
there is simply not enough schedule or budget to do the job as you will.
Would you really say: If I cannot do this right, I'll not do it at all?

Perhaps it is extreme and foolish, but if the circumstances dictated it
and I were faced with a time limit on two-track 3-3/4 ips tape, I'd
happily play back at 15 ips and record "stereo" directly to standalone
CD. Both channels would be quad-speed chipmunks and one would be in
reverse, but the capture would be in hand and particularly for spoken
word what is essential can be retrieved later. Given ten times the
resources (particularly time), I would prefer to work in real time, each
channel in the right direction and processed to higher quality.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/