Several CD reissues of the Dynagroove recordings were hailed for having very
good sound, like some Columbias that were rough sounding in their original
release.  But as far as the tapes go, the duplication practices of the day
would ruin any good recording.  Poorly maintained duplication machines run
at 10-20 times is a recipe for disaster.  There's as much variation from
very good to unlistenable with tapes (just like vinyl).  I really think that
there was a combination of things going on with these Dynagrooves.  It's
always been a practice of the major labels to send out tapes to the
mastering engineers that have been limited, EQd, and compressed.  If they
didn't, they could have wildly different sounding pressings and would lose
their "house sound".  So they fixed the tapes to sound the way they wanted
them to sound on the release.  Remember that the poor sound of some early
CDs were actually caused by pulling the first tapes they found, and some of
these tapes were 3rd generation with EQ, limiting and compression for the LP
release.
Phillip