So I'm doing some searches on the internet; the last sentence in the
video means:

Credo quia absurdum--I believe it because it is absurd

It does seem like a spoof - accidentally picking up the sound patterns
on the vase as the potter turned his wheel? Must have been quite the
cone on the other end of the stick, and the potter wasn't really
holding the stick? Because then he would have dampened the frequencies?
Maybe it was a very long
metal stick and he was holding it right close to the pottery? Oh my
gosh...!

["philippe delaite" archeologist] doesn't turn up much in Google. I
couldn't make out the name of the University that they quote at the
beginning of the piece, and in the middle, for that matter, when they
say that the University is going to be releasing a disc...

Anyone find or hear of anything else? Fun stuff...I *want* to believe...

If it is a spoof, they spoofers were quite correct in naming South
America; it reminded me immediately of this sort of thing in Central
America:

from: http://www.ianlawton.com/pa1.htm

   [This discussion originally appeared on the Alt.Sci.Physics.Acoustics
Newsgroup. Some additional comments have been collected via email by
correspondent Wayne Van Kirk. My thanks to Wayne for forwarding this
collation.]

At least two structures at the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza in Mexican
display unusual and unexplained acoustical properties.

1) The Great Ballcourt:

The Great Ballcourt is 545 feet long and 225 feet wide overall. It has
no vault, no continuity between the walls and is totally open to the
sky.

Each end has a raised "temple" area. A whisper from end can be heard
clearly at the other end 500 feet away and through the length and
breath of the court. The sound waves are unaffected by wind direction
or time of day/night. Archaeologists engaged in the reconstruction
noted that the sound transmission became stronger and clearer as they
proceeded. In 1931 Leopold Stokowski spent 4 days at the site to
determine the acoustic principals that could be applied to an open-air
concert theater he was designing.

Stokowski failed to learn the secret.

2) The Castillo:

This structure is a temple that looks like a pyramid and is the one
most commonly pictured on travel brochures for the Mexican Yucatan.
Apparently if you stand facing the foot of the temple and shout the
echo comes back as a piercing shriek. Also, a person standing on the
top step can speak in a normal voice and be heard by those at ground
level for some distance. This quality is also shared by another Mayan
pyramid at Tikal [snip]

Alyssa.
Alyssa Ryvers

Composer / Sound Engineer