Jeffrey Kane wrote:
> Perhaps my understanding is faulty; I'd always thought processing should be
> done at a higher resolution if possible to minimize adverse effects on the
> signal and preserve as much resolution as possible. Applying certain effects
> to 16 bit audio if editing in 16 bit resolution could result in loss of
> resolution could it not?

"Resolution" is an odd word here which does not apply in any definition
I know. 16-bit resolution gives better than 90 db signal-to-noise ratio.
As said before, a cassette tape is unlikely to offer as much as 60 db
SNR; ideally, it can get up to about 64. That still leaves some 30 db
for processing, a factor of 30.

One could do so much processing that the sound would be degraded, but it
is extremely unlikely in practice. A really dramatic change of
equalization could inspire capturing more than 16 bits, but that's about
the only case I can think of.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/