I am fascinated by the various subjects that are discussed and explored
in this list and thank everyone involved for widening our shared
horizons; it's quite an enriching trip.  On the subject (which I changed
to fit the current discussions) I found some interesting sites which I
include in this response.  This was a very informative site in that it
includes the Canadian clear channels, too:
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/ccs.htm
And, from this web site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFI_(AM)

> Today, KFI broadcasts from its Burbank
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burbank%2C_California>, California
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California> studios on 640 kHz on a
> 50,000-watt <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt> non-directional AM
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplitude_modulation> transmitter which
> is located in nearby La Mirada
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Mirada%2C_California> at 33 52' 47"
> N, 118 00' 47" W. As a class A signal, KFI can be heard throughout
> Southern California <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_California>
> and some distance into Nevada <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada>,
> Arizona <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona>, northwestern Mexico
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico>, and, at night, in some parts of
> Hawaii <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaii> and most of the western
> United States <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>. According
> to a May 1 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1>, 2004
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004> broadcast by Art Bell
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Bell>, this station can even be
> heard by sensitive receivers in parts of the Eastern United States. In
> Summer 2004, KFI became the most listened to talk radio station in the
> United States, beating New York City's
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York%2C_New_York> WABC
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WABC_%28AM%29> in cumulative audience
> during the rating period.