Thanks for this, Marie. Very much agreed. David's original question
relates to a collection (or several) of tapes that they want to make
commercial CDs from, and regardless of the original quality of the
tapes they transfers need to be the highest quality as master for
commercial releases... whether for archival or commercial use, the
quality of the source needs to be as high as possible. If noise
reduction (his etc) is to be done 24 bit is pretty imp;ortant as a
minimum level of quality, and I feel that 44.1 original transfers are
prefereable to sample rate conversion from 48k.

Large numbers of tapes are not justification for lowered quality of
product, and yet if the client has limitations of invesment, better to
do the work than refuse it!

Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689