Alyssa, I'm saying I get more range of clarity for the processing stage
- and must add that I am not really an archivist except for part time -
but 24 bit buys you more dynamic range and accuracy for the audio
sweetening you might want to do. It still can be archived and output as
16 bit, for storage efficiency. Yes, you are correct, any enhancement
comes from the "sweetening" which is only upon request - like if they's
like a noise reduced listening copy, for example.

But I use a 24 bit conversion when the material calls for it (meaning
if they want it improved for whatever reasons), then dither to 16 for
the final. Again, I am not an archiving professional, just an audio
engineer for hire... trying to please clients!

I love your Buddhist sig material, by the way...

Lou Judson  Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689