-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: 18 February 2006 13:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] White haze on older LPs -- cure??

Hi All:

I have here a couple of mid-50's mono LPs, excellent condition as far as
scratches and grit but they
have that dull white-ish haze, which seems to make the vinyl hiss when
it's played. Kind of like
tape hiss, but less full-spectrum. Not swish-hiss, which seems to happen
when this film doesn't
uniformly cover the whole record surface. I think this white-gray
substance might be leached out of
plastic inner sleeves, but why only on one side of the records?  VPI
fluid doesn't remove the
substance but does remove any crud from the grooves because the records
play beautifully except for
the hiss -- not a single tick/pop and no groove crackle.

Any way to remove this or is it now part of the vinyl?

-- Tom Fine

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The Library's St Pancras site is WiFI - enabled