-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 6:33 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT libraries and issues

At 06:39 PM 2/6/2006, Seva wrote:

>after completing a large archival transfer of hundreds of analog tapes,

>and having very little trouble (only a few needed baking, they were
>Ampex 407)

That is what most of us are currently experiencing with the high-risk
being some types of acetate tape.

>are there any known methods for playing DATs which don't want to play
>even on the original recording machine?

I think many of us look for a machine that plays them better.

>anyone willing to mention competent DAT repair places,

I have great hopes for Ontario Audio Video Service in Brampton. They are
the factory authorized repair shop for about 30 brands. In Southern
California is TAP Electronics.

TAP used to repair Nakamichi cassette decks for me, and did a great job.
Now that I've moved, I was lucky to find OAVS. The first completed
project was resurrecting a DA-38 8-track recorder that I got on ePay
with only 75 hours on it, but still had transport problems. They made it
right for me for not too much money.

>DAT machines which seem to be more tolerant, and more gentle, to the
tapes?

I have a pair of Panasonic SV-3800s that sound good and seem to be
fairly tolerant and gentle. I have two different low-end Sony DATs that
I would try. I hear the high-end 7000-series Sonys are very forgiving. I
think a few restorers have modified DATs with variable tracking. Perhaps
Chicago Audio Works? Scott?

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Richard