23rd Annual FLICC Forum on Federal Information Policies

A Digital Discourse: How Will Our World Look Digitized?

March 23, 2006 * Library of Congress * Washington, D.C.
(Complete announcement on the Web at http://www.loc.gov/flicc/ma/2006/ma0611.pdf)

What will our digital world look like in the year 2015? How will we prepare federal libraries and information centers, our users and ourselves for this next "rEvolution?" The 2006 forum will look into the digital future and ask scientists, lawyers, government officials, library leaders and futurists to predict possibilities, trends and outcomes so that federal librarians can prepare and respond to the digital future.

The forum's keynote speaker, David Weinberger, a research fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard Law School, will challenge us to think about "The Information Revolution That Wasn't and the One That Will Be: How the New Dimensions of Information Are Transforming Life." Weinberger believes that while "changes are on the way that will bring about deeper and more profound changes in the most fundamental dimensions of life and work," adept organizations can "take advantage of the new capabilities that are coming to customers and businesses."

The morning panel will look at how digitization will drive innovations in health care, intelligence gathering and entertainment. Panelists from academia, business and government will address topics ranging from
* How will digital information influence personal health from both preventive and curative perspectives?

* What will be the greatest threat to national security armed soldiers or hackers armed with proprietary financial data?

* How will consumers react to limitless access to books, movies, music and live performances?

* How might intellectual property rights evolve?

The afternoon keynote speaker will focus on the future in digital government posing critical questions regarding what kinds of information the federal government will collect, keep and share and what citizen expectations for more streamlined and responsive services may be. Beverly Godwin, Director, FirstGov Operations, Office of Citizen Services and Communications, General Services Administration, will detail her milestones for FirstGov.gov and predict the future of voting, paying taxes, litigating and even visiting a national park in 2015. She will also identify the new competencies necessary to be effective citizens of a "knowledge nation."

Digitization of content remains the core enterprise for all of these future scenarios. To excel in this information rEvolution, the forum's final panel will host government and association information science leaders who will help us anticipate the skills, knowledge and abilities that will be essential for federal librarians by 2015.

Agenda

9:00 - 9:30 Welcome and FLICC Awards Ceremony
* Roberta I. Shaffer, Executive Director, FLICC
* James H. Billington, The Librarian of Congress

9:30 - 9:40 Introductory Remarks: James H. Billington

9:40 -10:30 Morning Keynote: The Information Revolution that Wasn't and the One that Will Be: How the New Dimensions of Information are Transforming Life, David Weinberger, Research Fellow, The Berkman Center, Harvard Law School

10:30-10:45 Break

10:45-11:45 Panel Discussion on Digital Directions:
Moderator: Roberta I. Shaffer, Executive Director, FLICC
Panelists:
* Healthcare: Daniel Pelino, General Manager, Healthcare and Life Sciences, IBM
* Intelligence: David Stern, Director, Yale Science Libraries & Information Services
*Digital Entertainment: Abraham Ravid, Professor of Finance and Economics, Rutgers University

11:45-12:00 Questions and Answers

12:00-1:15 Lunch (on your own)

1:15-1:45 Afternoon Keynote: Beverly Godwin, Director, FirstGov.gov, General Services Administration

1:45-2:15 The Library of Congress and the World Digital Library Initiative
John Van Oudenaren, Senior Advisor, World Digital Library, Library of Congress

2:15-2:35 Break

2:35-3:35 Panel Discussion: What Will Be the Digital Competencies for Librarians and How Will We Get There?
Moderator: Janice Lachance, Executive Director, Special Libraries Association Panelists: Laura Campbell, Associate Librarian/CIO, Library of Congress Peter Young, Director, National Agricultural Library Keith Cogdill, Outreach Librarian, National Library of Medicine

3:35-3:45 Wrap Up
Trudi Bellardo Hahn, Executive Director, National Commission on Libraries and Info Science

Registration Fees - $175*FEDLINK Members $189*Federal Registrants (not FEDLINK Members) $195*Non-Federal Registrants (Please Call.) Fees include refreshments and resource packet.

Register online at http://www.loc.gov/flicc/feveform.html

Request ADA Accommodations five business days in advance at (202) 707-6362 TTY or [log in to unmask]

Information
Call FLICC (202) 707-4813; TTY (202) 707-4995

Publications and Education Unit
FLICC/FEDLINK
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington, DC 20005-4935