Hello,

I bring you news of some METS Profile related issues.

1) Morgan Cundiff from the Library of Congress has submitted a new
profile that has passed the initial check of the [log in to unmask]
listserv.  I am now forwarding a link with information about the profile
for community and editorial board review.

http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/test/review_docs.html

2) At the last METS Editorial Board meeting, we approved a modification
to the Profile registration process which we hope will streamline
things.

        Before a profile is submitted to the METS Editorial Board and
        the Library of Congress for registration, it must undergo an
        initial check by the members of the [log in to unmask]
        listserv. This review is intended to be an initial technical
        check of the profile. Submissions must conform to the METS
        Profile XML Schema. All submissions must contain the major
        sections identified above, and in the order stated. The
        [log in to unmask] listserv may contact the profile
        submitter(s) to request clarification or amendments to a profile
        submission. Once any possible technical issues have been
        addressed, the proposed profile will be sent simultaneously to
        the METS Editorial Board and the METS mailing list at

        This review is intended to give the larger METS community an
        opportunity to review a profile, identify any areas which appear
        problematic or unclear and provide suggestions for improvement
        to the profile's authors. After a two week review on the public
        list, the Board should finalize and approve the profile. Once
        the board has accepted the profile submission, it will be
        forwarded to the Library of Congress Network Development and
        MARC Standards Office and made available through the METS web
        site at http://www.loc.gov/mets/ . The MARC Standards Office
        will assign the URI to a new profile and apply it to the profile
        documentation and example.

3) In the next couple of weeks, the METS Profile section of the METS web
site will be slightly improved, with HTML versions of the METS Profile
documentation and HTML versions of all the registered profiles (for
those of you who glaze over when you try to read raw XML).

-- Brian Tingle