Hi, all,

This is a *very* basic question (a few of us are working on a METS pilot
project and are sort of learning as we go), but has anyone experienced
XMLSpy validation problems when MODS is used to provide descriptive metadata
in a METS document? At the top of my METS document, I refer to the
namespaces for METS and MODS, along with some other namespaces, and I add
the schema location info for METS and MODS:

<mets:mets xmlns:mets="http://www.loc.gov/METS/"
xmlns:mods="http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3"
xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" xmlns="http://www.loc.gov/mix/"
xmlns:Jhove="http://hul.harvard.edu/ois/xml/ns/jhove"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.loc.gov/METS/
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mets/mets.xsd http://www.loc.gov/mods/v3
http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-3-0.xsd">

Have I done anything illegal here? I'm hand encoding a test record, and
XMLSpy OKs it as well formed, but it doesn't validate. Instead, XMLSpy opens
mods-3-0.xsd and, with the cursor on line 5, which is the xsd:import
statement of the W3 namespace for XLink and the schema location statement
for the xlink.xsd schema at the LC MODS site, gives the error message:

This file is not valid: Unable to load schema with target namespace
'http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink' from
'http:www.loc.gov/standards/mods/xlink.xsd'.

Does the schema location need to refer to the same URI the one stated in the
namespace for XLink? I'm sure there's no problem with the MODS schema, so I
must be missing something or stating something incorrectly (and I'll be
mortified when someone tells me how basic the error I made is).

Many thanks and have a good weekend.

Marsha Maguire
Manuscripts and Special Collections Cataloging Librarian
University of Washington Libraries
P.O. Box 352900
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
(206) 543-8407 fax: (206) 685-8782