Hi All,

  There has been wonderful work on crosswalk mappings and the ability to convert & express metadata in various standards/formats.

  I am a computer analyst and during my assignments at The National Library Board, Singapore. I had come up with similar challenges to create a utility to crosswalk humungous amount of data from marc21 to dc.

  The quick fix approach however was painfully creating one simple xslt file which will be used to convert/crosswalk the data and the program handled the storage and other trivial issues.

  I was never pleased with the above idea though and comeup with a whitepaper which i would love to share with all those interested.

  The whitepaper breifly was about creating a utility which would have enough GUI flexibilty to physically map elements accross schemas of 2 different standards and this mapping gets stored in an xml-database.

  Thus you have a very strong repository of mappings instead of cumbersome xslt's and the software would take care of the conversion in a jiffy.

  regards,
  Y.N.Ganesh

  Stanislav Pejsa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hi Simon,

I think that an article in D-Lib Magazine from December 2004 had an article just on this topic, but I am not sure how it all developed since then.

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/december04/godby/12godby.html

-- stan

Stanislav Pejsa | Quality Control and Metadata Librarian | Gruss Lipper Digital Laboratory | The Center for Jewish History | 15 W. 16 Street | New York, NY 10011 | [log in to unmask] | (917) 606-8213