> I don't have a problem with considering the program as a piece of
> descriptive
> metadata, but if it's really operating as such, I wonder whether you
> might
> want to at least produce a text transcription so that the
> "descriptive metadata"
> is indexable/searchable.  If you're going to use <fileSec> to insure
> you can record fixity information for your metadata records, the
> approach
> you're taking for <dmdSec> and <techMD> records seems OK, but I would
> suggest at least considering whether it might be better to use PREMIS
> to record this type of information, and abandon the slightly
> kludgy use
> of <fileSec> to record fixity info for your metadata.

The complication here is that the institution to which we're sending
these files is the one going to be doing the transcription (by OCR in
this case, I believe). We definitely will be getting that information in
machine-processable form as part of this project, but the METS files
we're looking at right now are just for moving the files from one place
to the other, and they won't have access to the full-text information.

Thanks!

Jenn