Sorry the schema given below was wrong. Won't pass the validation.
here's the correct one:
  <xs:complexType name="formatComplexType">
    <xs:sequence>
      <xs:choice>
        <xs:element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"
          name="formatDesignation" type="formatDesignationComplexType">
        </xs:element>
        <xs:element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"
          name="formatRegistry" type="formatRegistryComplexType">
        </xs:element>
      </xs:choice>
      <xs:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"
        name="formatRegistry" type="formatRegistryComplexType">
      </xs:element>
    </xs:sequence>
  </xs:complexType>

Thanks,