Marcos,

While not disagreeing with your premise, I have seen 1970s mastering
notes shoved into the tape box that had 0.1 dB step attenuator
settings on mastering equalizers. I suspect in those days they were
made with Daven step-attenuator (or similar) controls.

Cheers,

Richard

At 01:56 PM 3/25/2006, Marcos Sueiro wrote:
>Lou,
>
>I think we are saying the same thing. Again, I believe we are making
>these minute changes because we can; and esp. because these days we
>can recall many parameters. Musicians, producers and engineers --we
>are all caught up in this (hey, it's even sort of fun!).
>
>Consider tempo, for example, versus EQ. The former is unrepeatable
>(by human musicians anyway) to minute resolutions, while the latter
>is. I'd submit the former is far more important, but we change the
>latter, because we can.

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.