Peter Hirsch wrote:

  Earlier, Steve Smolian said:

  <George,  That was one of the reasons I liked this picture.
  Incidentally, the horn player is Bruno Jaenicke who remained first when
  the NY Philharmonic and the <NY Symphony merged and into the late '30s,
  perhaps longer.  He's the soloist on the Brunswick Toscanini "Midsummer
  Night's Dream" Nocturne.  Labatte is the <oboist (who made a solo disc
  for U.S. Pathe), Simon Barere the clarinetist, Guidi the first fiddle
  (he also recorded for Gennett), etc.

  Steve,

  Bruno Jaenicke was one of the all-time great horn players and he was
  also featured on Mengelberg's Heldenleben, but there were two small
  details that I did want to correct in your posting (I can't wait to read
  the actual article - I have long treasured my fat Columbia NYPO Stransky
  78s from the 19-teens and have always wondered what might predate them)
  is that the oboist was Bruno Labate (quite a source for colorful
  anecdotes) and and the flutist in the Philharmonic was Georges Barrere
  (Simon Barere was noted both for his pianism and the unfortunate
  circumstances of his demise). I know that this is somewhat off-topic for
  this list, but the hornplayer's list that I belong to probably wouldn't
  care about such ancient history, so I am posting it here.

  Nits picked and I'm done,

  Peter Hirsch

And Simon Barere had a more valid excuse for not finishing that last
concerto.

dl

  Quote from Time Magazine Archives:

  Nov. 23, 1931
  Adenoids and head colds affect few people so unpleasantly as they do
  those who blow on wind instruments. At a Philharmonic concert in
  Manhattan last week German Bruno Jaenicke, reputed the world's greatest
  French horn player, huffed, puffed & snuffed valiantly through the first
  two movements of the Concerto which Richard Strauss wrote for his
  horn-playing father. Then, exhausted, Horn-Player Jaenicke left the
  stage. Conductor Erich Kleiber strode after him, but no amount of
  persuasion would return Bruno Jaenicke to his snuffling misery. An
  unprecedented announcement was made: the Philharmonic was unable to
  finish a number it had started.