At 12:02 PM 3/30/2006, Gary wrote:
>Try holding a cotton swab soaked in Isopropyl alcohol on the recorded side
>of the tape before it passes through the tape guides and heads. The cotton
>swab should be just damp and has to be applied continually while the tape is
>running. This usually eliminates the screech.

Or for the over-the-top professional method, the lists Marie
O'Connell has written a guest article here:
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/09/wet-playing-of-reel-tapes-with-loss-of-lubricant-a-guest-article-by-marie-oconnell/

But the Q-tip works, although I prefer a larger pad and a small "eye
dropper" to keep it moist. I haven't built one of Marie's
contraptions. I'd love to find a way of doing it for cassettes. My
first experiment with silicone was messy but it worked when The Last
Factory tape treatment failed. I haven't had much luck with isopropyl
"drips" into cassettes.

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.