Mike,

The phrase comes from TV land when two- and three-tape-machine
editors began being called linear editors as you assembled things
linearly from the start.

All of our audio editors that I'm aware of: Audition, Samplitude,
ProTools, are all NLE (non-linear editors) by this definition.

This has nothing to do with transfer functions, but rather human
interface and operating modes.

Cheers,

Richard

At 01:49 PM 3/11/2006, Mike Richter wrote:
>Rod Stephens wrote:
>>Hi Tom,
>>As a retired (except for sound projects) motion picture film (and
>>later digital) editor, much of the work I've been able to do with
>>sound tracks, whether they be on 35 MM (16 MM is much more
>>difficult to edit) film or a non linear editing system like
>>Audition, has been a result of learning the tricks of the trade.
>
>This is the first suggestion I've encountered that Adobe Audition is
>not linear. My own work with it (and with its predecessor, CoolEdit
>Pro) has extended over nearly a decade, so I am curious as to what
>is meant by the term "non linear" here.
>
>Mike
>--
>http://www.mrichter.com/

Tape Restoration Seminar:    MAY 9-12, 2006; details at Web site.