Based on some experience with native French speakers, Tom, I think I can
say that this is not one. She has a better French intonation than many
American singers, and fakes a good French accent when singing in English,
but her "la la la's" are as American as apple pie.

A quick check of WorldCat indicates that Peggy Lee has recorded this. Any
chance this is her?

Alec McLane

At 08:30 AM 3/7/2006, Tom Fine wrote:
>http://www.richardhess.net/ampex/mystery_singer/
>
>I put an MP3 at the above link from a tape I got in, mystery female
>singer. Yes, this music is not exactly my taste either but here are some
>relevant facts:
>
>1. tape is early 60's type, Scotch 202 or something similar. It's not in
>great shape, not in terrible shape. 15IPS NAB.
>
>2. Not tones or splices, so I think it's a safety. The audio quality is
>excellent, and it was obviously done in a good studio with good players
>behind the singer, so I think it was a major record company gig.
>
>3. the tape was in a lot of allegedly bulk-erased tapes but the client
>said it might have come from somewhere else. This 19-minute section, which
>seems to be an LP side worth of tunes, was spooled onto a 7" reel and was
>in a plain white box that, based on its condition, was probably later than
>when the reel was made.
>
>4. the tape was fast-wound onto the reel but was tails out. As I said
>earlier, it played OK and did not have any splices except to paper leader
>at the head and tail. So I think it's a studio copy or a safety.
>
>Any tips as to who's got the nice pipes, please let me know. Based on her
>spoken and singing parts on other songs, I would say she is native French
>or French Canadian. Again, this music is not my taste but based on her
>intonation, the fact that there is a good orchestra behind her with tight
>arrangements and the way she is mixed clearly out front of the band, I'd
>say she is a pro and this was a real-deal record company gig.
>
>-- Tom Fine

Alec McLane
Scores & Recordings/
  World Music Archives       Phone: (860) 685-3899
Olin Library                       Fax: (860) 685-2661
Wesleyan University          mailto:[log in to unmask]
Middletown, CT  06459       http://www.wesleyan.edu/libr/srhome/srdir.htm