Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:

  I like bubble wrap better.

I wish some of the dealers who swear by styrofoam chips would receive 4
boxes in the same
day filled with these things which have all picked up static charges in
transit and have to deal
with trying to get the damn things out of the record sleeves. Quite frankly
I'm tired of the
arguments in favor of them and am ready to stop buying from anyone who uses
them.
Apparently there is one type of chip that doesn't pick up a charge..it may
be the pink ones.
Not white, not green. Incidentally, one package that I picked up yesterday
had one 78 in it, in
a sleeve that had only two closed sides..no cardboard, no bubble wrap, just
tons of clingy styrofoam
chips and a record that was not secured, although it was in a strong
oversized box. Naturally
it arrived damaged.

Unfortunately bubble wrap isn't the perfect solution either, especially when
amateurs use too
much of the stuff or tape it up so that it's almost impossible to remove
without breaking the
record it's supposed to protect.

dl

  David Lennick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  As has already been pointed
out,
  newspapers are handy for safe packing of
  78s (you want to get me started on my opinion of styrofoam chips? I prefer
  not to use that kind of language on a public forum). Also, ever tried
  starting a fire with a computer?

  dl

  Same here! And print newspapers are only good for putting under the
  catbox,and lining  the rat cage ! :-() LOL