Two responses:

1. I rarely deal with such small changes, so this is an extreme example.

2. The real life example came from a mastering session where I was the
mix engineer, not the mastering one. In a discussion between the artist
and the mastering guy, she asked for a change, he made one, she said
"Great! Much better. how much did you change it?" He said, "One tenth
of a dB." Incredulous, she asked him to toggle it back and forth, and
the change was real. I think it was EQ, low or high end response.

I was just the observer, but we could all distinguish the difference on
his $6,000 Dunleavy speakers... I might not be able to hear that small
a change on my humble Tannoys.

And it is not just software - a good pot can change minute levels, and
always have been able to, though some high end controls use 1 dB
steps...

Heck, I can totally not hear something if I am distracted - or if
nearly asleep, a tiny, block away sound can wake me up. It is all so
psychological!

<L>