Actually, Victor Herbert played 'cello in Eduard Strauss' orchestra in, if I
recall correctly, the summer of 1880.

Herbert's performance of the "Du und Du Walzer," is far different from any
other J. Strauss performance I ever heard- much more "schwungvoll" than even
Kna or Stolz.

I recall reading in a not-to-long-ago-Grove article that, among the reasons
the waltz was considered an evil dance was that the man held the woman'
right hand in his left and steered her by having his right hand on her
breast.  Brings a new insight into the expression, "save the last dance for
me."  I'm hoping to post this to the Classic Record Collector site this
summer.

And one could believe this, hearing the way Herbert conducts Strauss, the
only example I know of a recording by this composer by him, and far less
sedate and polite than recordings by him of whatles by other composers,
including himself.

Stock claimed he spent a summer in Vienna learning how to conduct "the
waltz" as well.  Judging by his recorded triangular examples, he flunked the
course.

Steve Smolian