Steven Smolian wrote:

> Stock claimed he spent a summer in Vienna learning how to conduct "the
> waltz" as well.  Judging by his recorded triangular examples, he flunked
> the course.

No doubt, I should let this pass - we have wandered from what I believe
is called our topic - but I cannot resist.

There is a recent DVD of Die Fledermaus from Glyndebourne conducted by
Vladimir Jurowski who explains the waltz in one of the supplements. He
provides detail, examples and exposition; unfortunately, he does not
conduct in the style he preaches.

However, he does go up on stage for the bows and the Frank of the
performance, Artur Korn, comes down to the pit so the music is not
interrupted. And there in a few minutes of the Radetzky March we hear
exactly what this music is all about.

Incidentally, one still needs to step back in time for a performance
which captures the Schwung. There's a still more recent DVD of a 1980
production from Salzburg directed by Otto Schenk and conducted by
Theodor Guschlbauer. That's the baseline - and it would be even if the
cast were not so nearly perfect.

Mike
http://www.mrichter.com/