Kathleen,

What you want to do is find an option that will let you output a digital
audio signal to a PC.

To do this you have two options, a component unit that can output a
digital audio signal (AES/EBU or S/PDIF) or a portable that has a USB or
S/PDIF out.

If you're outputting via S/PDIF, you'll need a PC audio interface that
can accept S/PDIF input.  I'm a big fan of the DAL Card Deluxe, but on
the lower end Edirol makes a S/DIF input that you can plug into a USB port.

The only currently available rack-mount MD unit I've been able to locate
is the TASCAM MD-350, which B&H is selling for around $370, and it's got
a S/PDIF out.  The unit I use, Sony MDS-E10, has been great but it's no
longer made.

As far as portables go both the Marantz PMD650 (no longer made) and the
HHB MDP500 (around $1500) can output a digital signal via S/PDIF or USB.

In all the above cases the digital transfers must be made in real time.

You might be able to find the Sony MDS-E10 or the related -E11 or -E12
used, but when I last checked on Ebay they were pretty scare and pricer
than I would have liked.  A Marantz PMD650 or HHB MDP500 might turn up
there too.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot use a HiMD player to upload ATRAC
audio recorded on a standard (i.e. old format) MiniDisc to a PC, but I
could be wrong about this.

Best,

andy

--