Maybe the record companies actually fear them.  I don't know.  But they
certainly don't try to stop them.  What the DJs do is mostly a live
performance.  They get paid very good money to play their sets at dance
clubs and raves.  Many issue mix tapes that are blatantly illegal, and those
are usually kept behind the counter, like Penthouse.  When they issue
something through traditional channels, they do get clearance and pay for
the samples.  The best stuff out there is blatantly infringing on
copyrights, so is very difficult to find for the average Joe (you and me).
It's out there though.
What Mixmaster Mike does is pretty amazing.  Forget "Rockit", if that's the
only exposure you've had to DJs.  I have a vocal performance degree, but
what these guys do takes practice, skill and planning.  To look down on them
would be short sighted.
So, just to prove I have pretty broad musical tastes here's a sample of what
I listened to yesterday:
    No Doubt's singles collection (Love that Gwen Stephani) on CD though :(
    Nelson Riddle "Route 66 Theme" on Capitol st1771 needed a good cleaning
    Ravi Shankar "Portrait of Genius" World Pacific st1432 (very nice
record)
    Keith Jarrett "Treasure Island" Impulse A great collection of talent on
this one.  Good sounding vinyl issue.
    Esquivel "Other Worlds, Other Sounds" RCA LSP-1753  Justly famous for
sound and music.
I do have double the classical of anything else, but listen more to jazz I
think.