Hi Richard,
   The indication that the one tape drops out at
different sections on different machines may indcate
that the original recording was defective.
   But assuming the recording is good, I have a couple
of suggestions that might help out, if you're not
already aware of them.
   Check your pinch roller to make sure it's not
glazed. If it is, replace it. Beyond head, guides and
capstan cleaning this is the single most common cause
of dropouts I learned about while servicing Panasonic,
Tascam and Sony chassis DAT mechanical assemblies.
  When I went through the TASCAM DA88 service school
they introduced me to a "cloth-like" cleaning material
which they provide for cleaning heads by hand. It
works well on the smaller DAT heads also. I firmly
believe
cleaning by hand with the power off is a much safer
way to maintain your DAT heads . If you need more info
on that cleaning material let me know.
  Generally, manual internal tracking adjustment is
made by looking at the RF waveform pattern and
observing the rectangular shape of the entire
waveform.
It should look like a nice even rectangle, not tapered
at the ends or bowed in the middle.

Chris
eugene-audio

--- "Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>