Hi Jodi,

We have some finding aids that fall into the minimal level processing
category. We've just started converting our finding aids to EAD, so I
don't know if this is the best way to do it, but FWIW, here's how we've
been handling them.

If there are no series, the c01 level is simply "file."  If there are
series, the c01 level becomes "series" and c02 is "file." In both cases,
though, for each item there are two container tags, usually one of
type="box" and one of type="folder."  For example, here's some code from
a very small collection that consists of just four folders in one box,
but which does have two series:

<c01 level="series">
     <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="245$a">Financial</unittitle>
     </did>
     <c02 level="file">
          <did>
               <unittitle encodinganalog="245$a">Account book
...</unittitle>
               <container type="box">1</container>
               <container type="folder">1</container>
          </did>
     </c02>
     <c02 level="file">
          <did>
               <unittitle encodinganalog="245$a">Account book
...</unittitle>
               <container type="box">1</container>
               <container type="folder">2</container>
          </did>
     </c02>
</c01>
<c01 level="series">
     <did>
          <unittitle encodinganalog="245$a">Land Papers</unittitle>
     </did>
     <c02 level="file">
          <did>
               <unittitle encodinganalog="245$a">Map ...</unittitle>
               <container type="box">1</container>
               <container type="folder">3</container>
          </did>
     </c02>
     <c02 level="file">
          <did>
               <unittitle encodinganalog="245$a">Schedule of the
property....</unittitle>
               <container type="box">1</container>
              <container type="folder">4</container>
          </did>
     </c02>
</c01>

Diane Madrigal
New York State Library
New York State Education Department

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/17/06 12:59 PM >>>
Hi all:
In doing the EAD training for the Northwest Digital Archives and being
very
involved with the NWDA Best Practices, I'm hearing requests from our
Northwest Archival Processing Initiative members (who are a test bed
for the
Greene/Meissner minimal-level processing) for some examples of EAD
encoding
of finding aids from minimal-level processing.

Although we are not very proscriptive in our standards beyond the
<archdesc>
level, we need some degree of uniformity so that our stylesheet works
well.
I know that for many institutions, the descriptions are by the box at
<c01> or <c02> level, with or without series divisions. Since the box
is not
considered an intellectual level, this doesn't fit so neatly into the
known
<c0x> levels in EAD.

I have seen two different solutions to this, and thought of another:

1. From Mark Shelstad at the University of Wyoming: Specify both the
c01 and
c02 level as file, with the second designating a subject within a box.
This
treats the box as a file, which is intellectually perfectly sensible.

<c01 level="file>
<did>
<unittitle>[title]</unittitle>
</did>
<scopecontent>[sc note]</scopecontent>
<c02 level="file">
<did>
<container type="box">[number]</container>
<unittitle>[title]</unittitle>
<unitdate>[date]</unitdate>
</c02>
</c01>

2. From Donna McCrea at the University of Montana: Specify the c01 as
series, tag the box as c02, but don't specify a level. As Michael Fox
has
recently observed on this list, not specifying a level below series may
not
matter.

<c01 level="series">
<did>
<unitid>[series #]</unitid>
<unittitle>[title]</unittitle>
<unitdate>[date]</unitdate>
</did>
<c02>
<did>
<container type="box">[box #]</container>
<unittitle>[title]</unittitle>
</did>
<scopecontent><p>[text]</p></scopecontent>
</c02>
</c01>

3. My thought, which may be theoretically correct in some ways but
elevates
the box to an intellectual unit, which is not consistent with accepted
theory of archival arrangement. This example would be for a collection
without series and with a list of subjects contained in a boxes, but
could
also apply at the c02 level if there were series:

<c01 level="otherlevel" otherlevel="box">
<did><container type="box">Box
</did>
<scopecontent>[scope and content note: usually list of
subjects]</scopecontent>
</c01>

Are there other examples of a box-level description out there? Any
comments
on the relative merits of these solutions would be much appreciated as
well.

Best, Jodi

--
Jodi Allison-Bunnell