At our library, all of our finding aids are written in Word first and then
converted to EAD using a couple of macros I wrote for NoteTab Pro. I use
these macros regularly to convert very large files into EAD, although the
macros are currently only designed to work with finding aids formatted in a
specific way. Depending how different the practices at your institution are
from those we use, it might be a simple task to modify the NoteTab Pro macro
to work for you.

You can download a copy of the EAD clipbook for NoteTab here:

http://www.uic.edu/depts/lib/specialcoll/services/rjd/EADClip.zip

Some of the clipbook is derived from the NoteTab Pro clipbook included as
part to of the EAD cookbook. The sections to automatically mark up the box
and folder descriptions are my own.  In order to automatically mark up
folder descriptions, the box/folder desc. must be in a more or less specific
format, something like:

Series I: Sample Collection

Box 1

1. Conversations, 1949
2. Conversations, 1950
3. Conversations, 1951

Sub-series A: Test A

4. Correpsondence, 1990

Box 2

5. Correspondence, 1991
6. Correspondence, 1992

Sub-series B: Test B

7. Pamphlets, 1950
8. Pamphlets - Trivia, 1951

Series II: Sample Collection, Part 2

Box 3

9. Misc., 1999
10. Misc., 2000
11. Misc., 2001

As it stands right now, the macro can handle series, subseries and
subsubseries, although it is easily expansible.  It works by reading each
line, one at a time, and checking the first couple characters against a case
statement.  If the line begins with the word "Series" or "SERIES," it treats
it as  a series.  If it beings with the word "Subseries," "Sub-series," or
"Sub-Series," it treats it as a subseries, and if it begins with "Subsub,"
"Sub-Sub," or "Sub-sub" it treats it as a subsubseries.  If the line begins
with "Box" it treats it as a box line, if it begins with a number it treats
it like a folder line, and if it begins with anything else it treats it as
an unnumbered folder (which can be useful for inserting scope and contents
notes within the box/folder description).

The folder lines need to be formatted in a particular way.  They must begin
with a number, followed by a period.  Then there is some amount of
whitespace (either spaces or tabs) and then the folder description.  The
last thing on every line must be a comma, followed by a date.

I hope that this is at least somewhat helpful. If you decide to use the
macro but need some help modifying it to match your style of finding aid,
don't hesitate to e-mail me ([log in to unmask]), and I'll gladly do my best to
help out.

Best,

Aaron Berkowitz
University of Illinois at Chicago