If you can work with your Word files in WordPerfect instead, the Utah State
Archives http://historyresearch.utah.gov/inventories/ead.htm (under heading
Container Lists) describes their method of converting WordPerfect container
lists into EAD tagged plain text, which can then be copied and pasted into
an XML editor in plain text view. This is apparently different from using
macros, as is described in the EAD page you cite. I have used their
technique and found that it worked well. The only problem was working with
very long container lists - the larger the file, the more prone it was to
include errors in the conversion process within WordPerfect. It's best to
break up large files into smaller ones (you might want to experiment to
determine the threshold where errors start to occur.)

Rebecca Romanchuk
Archivist
Texas State Archives
Austin TX