If you can work with your Word files in WordPerfect instead, the Utah State Archives http://historyresearch.utah.gov/inventories/ead.htm (under heading Container Lists) describes their method of converting WordPerfect container lists into EAD tagged plain text, which can then be copied and pasted into an XML editor in plain text view. This is apparently different from using macros, as is described in the EAD page you cite. I have used their technique and found that it worked well. The only problem was working with very long container lists - the larger the file, the more prone it was to include errors in the conversion process within WordPerfect. It's best to break up large files into smaller ones (you might want to experiment to determine the threshold where errors start to occur.)

Rebecca Romanchuk
Archivist
Texas State Archives
Austin TX