oops; sorry that I missed that! That would leave kor/ko for "Modern" and "Contemporary" Korean in the proposal. If we decide to retain the subdivision in 639-3 and go no further, the question is whether 639-2 needs the two additional identifiers.

Håvard

From: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joan Spanne
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 7:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: ISO 639 change proposal - Korean - discussion

ISO/DIS 639-3 already includes identifiers for middle and old Korean:

okm   Korean, Middle (10th - 16th cent.) (documentation: http://cf.linguistlist.org/cfdocs/new-website/LL-WorkingDirs/forms/langs/LLDescription.cfm?code=okm)
oko   Korean, Old (3rd - 9th cent.)  (documentation: http://cf.linguistlist.org/cfdocs/new-website/LL-WorkingDirs/forms/langs/LLDescription.cfm?code=oko)

which align quite well with the LCSH distinctions.

-Joan Spanne

Håvard  Hjulstad <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>

03/24/2006 07:49 AM
Please respond to

cc
Subject
ISO 639 change proposal - Korean - discussion

Dear JAC members,

We have received the proposal below to encode historical stages of the Korean language, using the current identifiers to denote "Contemporary Korean" and adding three additional sets of identifiers for earlier stages.

Rebecca writes:
When I consulted with Millie about this request, she said:
"Given the confusion about modern Turkish and Ottoman Turkish, I would be reluctant to separate "contemporary" and "modern" Korean without more evidence. LC has made the distinction in subject headings for Middle Korean as 935-1500 and Old Korean as prior to 935."

Discussion please (until 14 April).

Best regards,
Håvard

***** ORIGINAL SUBMISSION *****

This data was submitted on: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 05:23:18

lang_in_eng_change = kor [should be Korean]

lang_in_fre_change = coréen

iso_639_2_b =

iso_639_2_t =

change_requested = Korea has a long history. Korean languages are classified into four.
Language Name(English) : Language Name(French): 639-2 : 639-1
Korean, Contemporary : coréen : kor : ko
Korean, Modern (1600-1900) : coréen moderne : kog : ko
Korean, Middle (900-1600) : coréen moyen : koj : ko
Korean, Old (to 900) : coréen ancien : koy : ko

submit_name = Byeong-Hee Lee

submit_email = [log in to unmask]

submit_status = ISO/TC37/SC2 Korean HoD(Head of Delegate) in 2005 and KATS(Korean Agency for Technology and Standards) expert.