Dear JAC members,

(As you will understand, I am trying to "clean up" outstanding JAC matters...)

We had during the autumn of 2004 a ballot on "Hindustani". Enclosed is the initiation of the first discussion. Below is the ballot form with some additional information.

The ballot was not unanimous, and the item was not resolved. We should therefore take a new round of discussion before submitting a second ballot.

Discussion please (until 14 April).

Best regards,
Håvard

****** FIRST BALLOT ****

JAC ballot 2004-09 - Hindustani

Please vote by 2004-10-22

Please see additional information below.

(A) Inclusion:

(1)
___ I am in favour of including Hindustani in the alpha-3 code table of ISO 639-2.

___ I am opposed to including Hindustani in the alpha-3 code table of ISO 639-2.

Comments:

(B) Identifier:

(2)
___ I accept the identifier "hiu".

___ I do not accept the identifier "hiu".

Comments:

(C) Names:

(3)
___ I accept the English name "Hindustani".

___ I do not accept the English name "Hindustani".

Comments:

(4)
___ I accept the French name "hindustani".

___ I do not accept the French name "hindustani".

Comments:

(5)
___ I accept the indigenous name "hindustani".

___ I do not accept the indigenous name "hindustani".

Comments:

(D) General comments:

* * * *

ORIGINAL SUBMISSION:

This data was submitted on: Wednesday, May 5, 2004 at 15:19:22

lang_in_eng = Hindustani
lang_in_fre = Hindustani
ref_where_found_1 = Rashtriya Sahitya Akademi, India lang_in_vern = Hindustani ref_where_found_2 = Rashtriya Sahitya Akademi, India trans_lit =
evidence = Rashtriya Sahitya Akademi, India (60-100)
addinfo = About 40-50 % of speakers of the Hindi language actually speak Hindustani. The Government of India does not officially recognise it but this is the language from which Hindi and Urdu evolved. All over India(mainly northern parts) and Pakistan request_addition = ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2 2_code_suggestion = hn 3_code_suggestion = hnd submit_name = Arjun Aggarwal submit_email = [log in to unmask] submit_status = Speaker of the language and this is my first language.

* * * *

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This has been discussed on the JAC email list.

Although "Hindustani" is normally thought to be the "superset" of Hindi, Urdu, and other variants, the statement in the submission "About 40-50 % of speakers of the Hindi language actually speak Hindustani" is somewhat strange.

Still, the issue is probably whether a "macro-language" or "language group" identifier for Hindustani is needed in Part 2. Alternatively, the item may be encoded in the future Part 5.

An alpha-2 identifier is proposed. The proposed identifier "hn" is available. However, there doesn't seem to be evidence to support the assignment of an alpha-2 identifier, an this is not balloted on.

The proposed alpha-3 identifier (hnd) is taken by a different item in 639-3. This ballot proposes "hiu", which is available

*********** COMMENTS DURING BALLOTING ******

Christian Galinski: I am pleased that - at least for the time being - no alpha-2 identifier is proposed.
Anila Angjeli: The name for the language in French is "hindoustani". The name "hindustani" in French is used to designate the hindustani music.
Peter Constable: I would like additional information explaining the relationship between Hindustani, Hindi and Urdu. In particular, we need information that will allow us to determine whether Hindustani should be considered a macrolanguage encompassing Hindi and Urdu. Identifier and names would be acceptable if and when we approve Hindustani.