I noticed that the original submission listed most of the documents as held in a library in the Maldives.  That is interesting.  The name of the library director was given.  Would it be worthwhile to consult with him to determine whether the library views these documents as written in a different language?

The first document source, the Central Institute of Indian Languages, apparently considers Mahl to be a dialect of Divehi, since the submitter had to indicate that he did not agree with this information.  The Institute is an Indian governmental agency, which would seem to indicate that the government of India does not recognize a separate Mahl language.

Unless there is VERY strong evidence that this is a separate language, I think it should be considered a dialect of Divehi.

Milicent Wewerka, Library of Congress

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/28/06 3:22 AM >>>
Forwarded message from the original submitter.

Håvard

________________________________

From: Iyaaz J Naseem [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:30 AM
To: Håvard Hjulstad
Subject: Re: ISO 639 proposal - Mahl - discussion

Greetings,

Though Mahl was listed as a variant name for Maldivian before, Mahl is a separate language linguistically and politically. So we as native speakers request to both alpha-2 and alpha-3 identifier for Mahl.

And since our language Mahl has got no codes yet, we face a lot of difficulties especially in the field of IT.

If the proposed alpha-3 identifier "mah" is not available, You can decide an identifier. I suggest "mhl" as alpha-3 identifier. And The alpha-2 identifier would be "ma" since it is available as you have mentioned below.

Iyaaz J Naseem