Hi All,

It sounds rather like a macrolanguage to me, but also as though it
warrants further research.

Is it acceptable for the JAC to =change= the assignment of an identifier
from an existing meaning to a new meaning, thus making all previous uses
of that code inaccurate (and there are already a current body of users to
consider)?? That breaks Part 3's rules for how it will be maintained. How
many other languages would like to have a more mnemonic identifier, but
the best one was already taken (like American Sign Language)?

-Joan Spanne
SIL International

Håvard  Hjulstad <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>
03/23/2006 04:20 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
New ISO 639 proposal - N'Ko - Discussion

Dear JAC members,
Below please find a proposal to encode N'Ko.
As far as I can see, the item is not encoded in ISO 639-3 or the
Linguasphere Registry. The N'Ko script has been encoded in ISO 15924.
There is clearly an urgent need for encoding in ISO 639.
The concept of a "compromise dialect between a number of other languages"
(as stated in the proposal) is quite interesting from a linguistic point
of view. Does it mean that N'Ko is some sort of macrolanguage? The use of
"literary dialect" may possibly misleadingly suggest that N'Ko isn't an
individual language in its own right. I am sure that JAC members would
welcome some enlightenment on this point.
As to identifier, "nko" is taken in ISO 639-3 (as the proposer states),
while "nqo" is available. Does the JAC wish to change the assignment of
nko to Nkonya?
And "the proposer" is of course Michael Everson, who is well versed in our
workings.
Discussion please (until 14 April).
Håvard
******** ORIGINAL PROPOSAL ********
This data was submitted on: Monday, March 6, 2006 at 13:24:37
lang_in_eng = N'Ko
lang_in_fre = n'ko
ref_where_found_1 = http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2765.pdf
lang_in_vern = n'ko
ref_where_found_2 = http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2765.pdf
trans_lit = conventional romanization
evidence = There are many more than 50 documents published in N'Ko. There
are monthly newspapers, dictionaries, grammars, history books, science
books, and so on. The following agencies certainly have more than 50
documents:
Journal culturel de l'Association ICRA-N'KO B.P. 1119 Conakry, Guinea
TEL: 224-46-45-95
ICRA-N'KO - Association pour l'Impulsion et la Coordination des Recherches
sur l'Alphabet N'Ko Executive Director: Kobinko Bintou Burama Kaba B.P.
1119 Conakry, Guinea
Tel: (224) 46-30-44, (224) 46-45-95 Fax: (224) 46-27-44
Sanoussy fiman Diané
Director, Central N'ko Bookseller Lérada B.P. 1119 Quartier Coleah
Conakry, Guinea
Tel: (224) 46-45-95, (224) 41-36-33
ATP - Association des Tradithérapeutes et Pharmacologues Conakry, Guinea
Tel: (224) 44-38-33
addinfo = N'Ko is a literary dialect written with the N'Ko script. It is a
"compromise" dialect between a number of other languages, all of which may
have their own codes. The N'Ko script is used to write the N'Ko literary
language, which is written by speakers of Bambara, Mandinka, Djula, etc.
The N'Ko language is different from each of those.
A code for the N'Ko language is urgently required for CLDR implementation
and support. I request the code "nko" though this is assigned to Nkonya in
the draft for 639-3. If this cannot be changed, "nqo" is available.
request_addition = ISO 639-2 only
2_code_suggestion =
3_code_suggestion = nko
submit_name = Michael Everson
submit_email = [log in to unmask]
submit_status = I am a software developer working on font and CLDR
implementation for N'Ko. I proposed the encoding of the N'Ko script in
ISO/IEC 10646. I am working with members of the N'Ko community to help
support their efforts to get their language online.