The first reference listed, the Wikipedia article, indicates that "Mahl"
is the same as "Dhivehi" or Maldivian, and is a variant name used for
political motivations:

"It is practically the same as or mutually intelligible with Divehi
Language, the official language of Maldives, but differentiated in name
for political reasons."

Dhivehi by any other name ought to still be [div].

-Joan Spanne

Håvard  Hjulstad <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: ISO 639 Joint Advisory Committee <[log in to unmask]>
03/24/2006 06:46 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
ISO 639 proposal - Mahl - discussion

Dear JAC members,

We have received the proposal to include both alpha-2 and alpha-3
identifier for Mahl. Please see the original proposal below.

Ethnologue and ISO 639-3 lists Mahl as a variant name for Maldivian
(identifier "div").

The Linguasphere Registry lists "mahl" as a variant name for "dhivehi"
(59-ABA-aa) (= "Maldivian").

As to identifiers: The alpha-2 "ma" in available, in case we should decide
to include Mahl in the alpha-2 table. The proposed alpha-3 identifier
"mah" is not available. There are in fact very few free identifiers
starting with m, and no obvious one at all. If we want to assign an
identifier starting with m, I suggest "muf" (simply because all better
choices are already taken).

Discussion please (until 14 April).

Best regards,
Håvard Hjulstad

(PS: This message has been copied to the proposer for information. He will
not be able to submit to the email list. Should he wish to add any
information, he may do so directly to me, and I shall forward it to the
list.)

*************** ORIGINAL SUBMISSION **********
Regarding documents in the Mahl language. And the name of the institution
and the number of documents at each.
1. in Central Institute of Indian Langguages (has atleast 3 documents).
(please refer)
--> http://www.ciil.org/publication/All%20Publications/Video.htm
--> http://www.ciil.org/Prog05-06/Prog05-06.htm
2. Mahl Unit Press Minicoy (Text books in Mahl for I to IV standards)
Number of Documents N/A
(please refer)
---> http://lakshadweep.nic.in/depts/press/unit_presses.htm
3. Inaa-ee Library, Feridhoo, North Ari Atoll, MALDIVES (has 39 Text
Books, 1 daily news paper, 17 Essay books, 2 poetry books and 1 book on
religion)
----> email: Inaa-ee Library <[log in to unmask]> of the
Director, Mr. Saud Abdel Kareem.
4. Bada Village Library, Minicoy, Lakshadweep, INDIA (Text books and
newspapers) Number of Documents N/A
Correction:
=============
lang_in_eng = Mahl
lang_in_fre =
ref_where_found_1 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahl_language
lang_in_vern = Maliku bas
ref_where_found_2 = http://www.mathaaran.net
trans_lit =
evidence = Central Institute of Indian Langguages
addinfo = 300,000 in Minicoy, India and Maldives incorrect.
addinfo = 9495 in Minicoy island, Lakshadweep, INDIA. (Correct)
request_addition = ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2
2_code_suggestion = ma
3_code_suggestion = mah
submit_name = Iyaaz J Naseem
submit_email = [log in to unmask]
submit_status = Native speaker of the language