Dear JAC members,

The proposal below has been submitted some time ago.

As far as I can understand it is the item that is encoded "frp" (Franco-Provençal) in Ethnologue and ISO 639-3. Ethnologue has as alternate names Patois and Arpitan.

The proposer asks for an alpha-2 identifier as well. I would suggest that we do not include it in the alpha-2 table.

The question is then whether the item should be "moved" from 639-3 to 639-2.

Discussion please (until 14 April).

Best regards,
Håvard

******** ORIGINAL SUBMISSION ******

This data was submitted on: Thursday, August 4, 2005 at 04:10:36

lang_in_eng = Arpitan, Francoprovençal

lang_in_fre = Arpitan, Francoprovençal, Savoyard

ref_where_found_1 = http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpitan

lang_in_vern = Arpitan, Savoyârd, Patouès

ref_where_found_2 = http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpitan

trans_lit =

evidence = Académie chablaisienne (70), Centre de la Culture Savoyarde (nd), Centre de dialectologie de Neuchâtel (more than 50)... See also "anthology francoprovençale" by Dominique Stich

addinfo = 80 000 speakers in Italy (Val d'Aosta - official, Piemont, Pouilles), Switzerland (Geneva, Valais, Neuchâtel, Fribourg, Vaud), France (Savoy, Lyonnais, Franche-Comté Sud, Bresse, Forez...).

request_addition = ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2

2_code_suggestion = ap

3_code_suggestion = arp

submit_name = Arban Lavy

submit_email = [log in to unmask]

submit_status = President of Arpitan Culture Alliance (Aliance culturèla arpitana), Lausanne