Dear JAC members,

Please have a look at the submissions below. As has been suggested by Rebecca's original response, it is a question of changing the names of the item that is encoded "ast" in ISO 639-2, even though the first submission below requests new alpha-2 and alpha-3 identifiers.

Unless the discussion brings arguments to the contrary, I would suggest that we change the names as follows:

English name to: Asturian; Bable; Leonese; Asturleonese
French name to: asturien; bable; léonais; asturoléonais
Indigenous name to: asturianu; bable; llionés

Discussion please (until 14 April).

Best regards,
Håvard

****** FIRST SUBMISSION ******

This data was submitted on: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 at 08:14:25

lang_in_eng = leonese

lang_in_fre = léonais

ref_where_found_1 = UNESCO Red Book for endangered languages

lang_in_vern = llionés

ref_where_found_2 = Traditional name, a lot of publications around the world

trans_lit =

evidence = Autonomy Library of Castille an Leon -Spain- (19) Public Library of Leon -Spain-(more than 57) Regional Library of Leon -Spain- (more than 60) Net of Universitary Libraries of Spain (more than 100) Public Library of Zamora -Spain- (10) National Library of Spain (14) University of Salamanca (more than 20) Archives of Cathedral of Leon (historical documents from medieval age. With the first document in this language "Nodicia de Kesos". More than 50).
Wikipedia in Leonese language -into the asturoleones linguistic group wikipedia- more than 200 articles only in the leonese language of this group. (more of 200).

addinfo = Number of speakers: 55.000 (5% total population)
Area: spanish province of León, Zamora and Salamanca.
Linguistical group: Asturoleonese.
Actually it is one of the most several endangered languages in Europe and in the World. It's near of extinct but the municipalities and Universities of Leon working to save it of this terrible future.
Brief History: Documentated since the X century -the first text "Nodicia de Kesos"-, being one of the firts romance languages wrotten untill today. We have in our language medieval laws -"Fueru de Zamora", "Fueru de Salamanca", "Fueru de Coria"-, novels -"Llibru d'Aleixandre"- and ancient books of Medicine, History and other themes.

request_addition = ISO 639-1 and ISO 639-2

2_code_suggestion = ll

3_code_suggestion = lli

submit_name = Enrique López Moreno

submit_email = [log in to unmask]

submit_status = Teacher and historician of the language. We collaborate with articles in the asturoleones wikipedia and brief stories in leonese language.

****** SECOND SUBMISSION *****