Dear JAC members,

We have received the proposal below to encode historical stages of the Korean language, using the current identifiers to denote "Contemporary Korean" and adding three additional sets of identifiers for earlier stages.

Rebecca writes:
When I consulted with Millie about this request, she said:
"Given the confusion about modern Turkish and Ottoman Turkish, I would be reluctant to separate "contemporary" and "modern" Korean without more evidence. LC has made the distinction in subject headings for Middle Korean as 935-1500 and Old Korean as prior to 935."

Discussion please (until 14 April).

Best regards,
Håvard

***** ORIGINAL SUBMISSION *****

This data was submitted on: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 05:23:18

lang_in_eng_change = kor [should be Korean]

lang_in_fre_change = coréen

iso_639_2_b =

iso_639_2_t =

change_requested = Korea has a long history. Korean languages are classified into four.
Language Name(English) : Language Name(French): 639-2 : 639-1
Korean, Contemporary : coréen : kor : ko
Korean, Modern (1600-1900) : coréen moderne : kog : ko
Korean, Middle (900-1600) : coréen moyen : koj : ko
Korean, Old (to 900) : coréen ancien : koy : ko

submit_name = Byeong-Hee Lee

submit_email = [log in to unmask]

submit_status = ISO/TC37/SC2 Korean HoD(Head of Delegate) in 2005 and KATS(Korean Agency for Technology and Standards) expert.